Pages

Monday, 9 November 2015

Milford Sound

Doing a Milford Sound cruise is one of those things every tourist does in New Zealand, so of course I did too, afraid of missing out on something spectacular if I didn't.

As Milford is a tiny place, most people without a car start with a bus ride from either Queenstown or Te Anau. Although it makes for a pretty long day, the bus drives through a national park, which means there is plenty to look at (and plenty of photo stops).



 This is what it looks like when a tour bus stops for a picture break.


The bus stopped at the Mirror Lake (above) and the Chasm (below).



And after a couple of hours (for me, 4 for the people coming from Queenstown), we finally got to Milford Sound.



Milford Sound is actually a fiord, not a sound. The difference is apparently that fiords are carved by glaciers, whereas sounds are made from rivers.




I have now gotten to the part of New Zealand that is most similar to Norway. Although I don't live by the Norwegian fiords, I would definitely have found Milford more spectacular if it was more unfamiliar to me.



Nonetheless it was a sunny day, perfect for a boat trip, and spectacular or not, the scenery is pretty beautiful.

 We saw some New Zealand fur seals, who were sleeping, as they are nocturnal animals. To be honest, sleeping in the sun seemed like a good plan for the day.




We got up close to a waterfall, which was pretty great.




Once I decided to just enjoy the boat trip and the scenery, and not worry about whether or not it was as spectacular as people said, it turned out to be a very nice day. And as I haven't actually done a cruise on any of the fiords at home, I guess it was time I did one (it's funny how we do things when we're travelling that we wouldn't really think of doing when we're home).



No comments:

Post a Comment